Fashion

Camo + Valentino? Yes!

Got to hand it to Valentino.

I haven’t seen this kind of brand rebirth since Tom Ford took over Gucci in 1994. But I am absolutely smitten with the direction the brand has been moving in for the last few seasons. Not to discount the unquestionable talent of visionary Valentino Garavani, but sometimes new blood is just what a fashion label needs to kick it into the 21st century.

For spring 2013, camouflage is a new theme for both the men’s and women’s ready-to-wear collections. According to my source at Valentino:

“The camouflage technique is obtained from laser-cut leather or fabric, heat sealed and then printed for a mimetic army effect.”

Here’s a little sample:

Valentino camouflage accessories for spring 2013 Valentino camouflage accessories for spring 2013 Valentino camouflage accessories for spring 2013 Valentino camouflage accessories for spring 2013 Valentino camouflage accessories for spring 2013

I love it. Do you?

PS: Be sure to check back next week. Livestreaming the Valentino men’s fall 2013 collection from Paris!

Tips for Balancing Social Media and Your Relationships

Watch Valentino Men's Fall 2013 Livestream from Paris

1. January 12, 2013 at 1:00 pm — Reply

Nice! It’s camo, but elevated to a new place. I don’t know if its what I associate with Valentino though. I guess I’ll wait and see.
    Heather’s latest post: Staying warm wearing burgundy and greyMy Profile

• January 13, 2013 at 8:20 am — Reply

Definitely unexpected for Valentino, but a lot of what is coming from the house is unexpected. I like the new direction. The grand gowns are still there, but I feel there is more for the under-50 set now.

2. January 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm — Reply

This is truly gorgeous! I’m loving the camo trend and this just takes it to the next level! <3! :)

Stephanie :)
    Glam Slam!’s latest post: Current Obsession: 3.1 Phillip Lim BootiesMy Profile

3. January 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm — Reply

I love the 3D effect. I’m kind of in love with the camouflage trench, I can see that looking great … styled the right way! :)
    FASHION TALES’s latest post: Hit The Ground Running, Sitting, and StruttingMy Profile

• January 13, 2013 at 8:18 am — Reply

I agree, Madison! The trench could be worn by men or women, and could really give a casual outfit a little oomph.

4. January 13, 2013 at 3:31 am — Reply

I have to agree with Heather, I definitely would not associate this style with Valentino at all. It should be interesting to see if Camo comes back as a trend since it has been awhile :)
    Tea’s latest post: My 8 Summer Beauty EssentialsMy Profile

• January 13, 2013 at 8:24 am — Reply

I think camo was strong last year…but with bloggers, not the big design houses. I’ll be curious as well to see if it spreads across to other designers/brands.

5. January 13, 2013 at 7:00 am — Reply

Camo is huge right now especially in Topshop, a lot of students are wearing it combined in a grungy sort of look which I’m not really a fan of. I think a pop of camo could look quite trendy but it’s quite difficult to work with. I like it and I know it’s going to be a big print for spring summer for both men and women.
    Arash Mazinani’s latest post: Fast Fashion Collaborations: Had Enough Already?My Profile

• January 13, 2013 at 8:17 am — Reply

I do think camo can be tricky to work with; definitely not for the office! I do love it for weekend wear, though.

6. January 14, 2013 at 7:23 am — Reply

oooh that’s definitely cool! The handbags are genius!

7. January 16, 2013 at 6:38 pm — Reply

I’m not typically a camo kinda girl, but the technique that goes into this is spectacular!
    Kristin’s latest post: BonBon Deal of the Day: Monogram MugsMy Profile

8. Rachael @ Style Every Day
    January 17, 2013 at 10:55 pm — Reply

My favorite camo look lately has been slouchy, almost boyfriend jeans, pants on women with a killer pair of heels. I can’t wait to see how Valentino brings new life to the trend.

9. January 22, 2013 at 10:02 am — Reply

Thank you for your comments, everyone!