A Weekend in Atlanta

I love Atlanta. Hotlanta. Yes.

I was in ATL over the weekend with my mother to celebrate a special achievement bestowed upon her sister. It had been many years since I’d been, but as usual, Atlanta did not disappoint. The weather was perfect, the food was amazing, and outside of some navigation issues, it was a flawless trip.

Since I’m a Southerner by geography, there aren’t many places in the South that I don’t love. Atlanta and Charleston are two of my favorites, and Savannah will always have a special place in my heart. I guess I just feel best where Southern hospitality is the norm, and people gush over you the moment you set foot in the door. (Maybe that’s why I hate New York. The only think gushing there are hydrants and sewers…but I digress.)

Even at this teeny little IHOP on Clairmont Road, Mom and I walked into a sea of “Good morning, ladies!” and “How are y’all this morning?” and “Well good morning, beautiful!” I kid you not. Y’all know I love my IHOP, and we were treated like royalty there. See? You can’t always judge a book by its cover.

Here’s a peek at my weekend through the lens of my beloved (albeit cracked) iPhone. You might have seen them on Instagram (@gritandglamour)…

Zara outfit and bag • Bauble Bar Double Gold Collar

In the middle of Michael Stipe’s Foxes, just outside Bistro Niko at Sovereign in Buckhead. Yes, I’m talking about that Michael Stipe, of R.E.M. fame. I was never one for his music, but I really loved his pack of golden foxes.

The requisite dirty martini. I didn’t want to be gauche and snap photos all through my dinner at the absolutely divine Chops in Buckhead, so this is the only shot you get. Should you ever find yourself in Atlanta, you must, must, must eat there. If you’re a steakhouse kind of girl, you should know this one has haunted me for a good 12 or 13 years. GO!

BCBG dress (really old) • vintage fur stole (also seen in La Grande Dame/Finale) • Christian Louboutin heels
(clutch is also old and I can’t remember the brand)

Apologies for the blurry shot. My mom, God bless her, is very photo-challenged. Even with an iPhone. Sigh.

One of the reasons why I hit the gym often is to be able to enjoy amazing desserts on special occasions. What you can barely see in this photo is the tiny little triangle of baklava behind the angel-stamped chocolate. Mmm. So good. And in a martini glass, to boot. People must have known I was comin’.

I also got to meet Eboni of The Fashionista Next Door. Sadly, we were too busy gabbing to think about taking a photo. She may be a California girl, but she was so sweet she could have passed for a native Southerner! Eboni, thanks again for coming into Buckhead on such short notice!

How was your weekend? Anything exciting you want to share?

Comments

I’ve never been to Atlanta, it’s on the list though and everything you’ve shared here certainly tells me it would be wonderful. The golden foxes are really neat, and made for a great photo op!

I went to Theatre Calgary over the weekend and saw Pride and Prejudice, I loved every moment of it from the choice in actors, to the costumes and especially the set design. I don’t get to see plays as often as I would like so this was such a treat!
    Bri’s latest post: The Batman ConverseMy Profile

I forgot to mention that I loved your martini and dessert shots. After making some pretty intense eating changes to my diet these past few months I’ve learned to appreciate a good dessert instead of just chowing down on goodness knows how many chocolate bars and etc!
    Bri’s latest post: The Batman ConverseMy Profile

V- you were MADE for HOTlanta babe! FOXY lady ;D I haven’t been commenting as frequently as I used to but KNOW that I’m stalking yo’ hot ass all over this blog, twitter, and instagram! Hope you’ve been spending lotsa QT with the fambam and just in time for the holiday season! Smooches love!!

xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

Julie Khuu’s latest post: 7 Days of Decorating!My Profile

Hey, gorgeous, thank you! I’ve not had time to comment on other blogs either (so thank you for dropping a little note here)…but I do lurk! Can’t wait to read your 7 Days of Decorating!

xoxo

You look so glamorous in that black dress and vintage fur stole! Nice to see the Chrissy Loubs in action – I was thinking of getting some Christian Louboutins for work but I’ve discovered that most of his models are way too narrow for my fat flamenco feet – wah!!
    I never knew Michael Stipe went into sculpture after R.E.M.
    Veshoevius’s latest post: La Tormenta – The Tale of A StormMy Profile

Thanks, love! I will admit that the Loubis are fantastic, but they are not made for anything more than walking from the car to the table for dinner. Comfy they are not.

As for Stipe, I had no idea either. I only realized the artist behind the sculpture after I got back home and Googled a bit. I found it so cool that he did it, though!

Went to school in north Caroline and caught the “yall” – still say it today (10 years later) and the good old fashioned kindness is contagious too…..loved living in the south for 4 years…great experience BUT the slow pace eventually got to me…had to come back up north.
    I have heard amazing things about the shopping in Atlanta too…keep wanting to get to an Atlanta Trade Show/Fashion market….but being 45 min from NYC, it is hard to justify.
    So sorry I have been mia, things are craze w 10 week old AND then Sandy hit and I was without power for 13 days..yikes..lol. Back home, with power, and trying to get back to normal.
    Hope all is well with you girlie, looking super chic beautiful as always…don’t you love when a black dress can be that old and still look THAT fabulous..I have a few Nicole Miller’s that do that trick.
    Best
    C

Carly, I did see that you were affected by Sandy and I’m glad to know you are better! Hope the little one is well. I have been lurking on your blog and you look great, lady! And yeah, the y’all…it gets EVERYONE!

Looks like you had a wonderful time! I’ve been to New Orleans and loved it, but we didn’t get much further west so sadly I have never been to Atlanta. I have some friends who’ve moved to the south so I’m hoping to visit soon.
    Heather’s latest post: Retail TherapyMy Profile

Oh V! You’re Instagram pics of your Atlanta trip made me soooooo homesick! I lived in Atlanta for most of my childhood, teenage and early 20’s – it’s my home. I left the city about 3yrs. ago (personal and family reasons), but always and still have a plan to move back someday, and your pics def reinforced that it is def a goal of mine. Atlanta is such an amazing, wonderful and awesome city; I like to call it the “NYC of the South”! Looks like you had an awesome time! :)

xx, Stephanie :)
    Glam Slam!’s latest post: Insta Glam – Life LatelyMy Profile

Hi Stephanie! Sorry to make you homesick…I can see why you’d miss Atlanta. It’s such a fabulous city! I’ve visited it many times in my adult life.

Will definitely look you up! Now I’m reminded of why I love you so much. You are a Southern girl. Not that I wouldn’t love you if you weren’t, but it kind of explains a lot. :)

8. Jackie (aka SnackyJackie) says

I’m late to this party but I’ve been living in the ATL region for almost a year now (from Tampa) and am enjoying it! I’m only about 30 min away from the city. (And I hear ya about NYC – I grew up in North Jersey and that was close enough lol)
    As far as Buckhead, man has it changed. I used to go when visiting years ago. There used to be so much “life” there…. now not so much. Have you noticed? I will have to check out some of those places you mentioned. I actually have heard of them. I’m really missing Cafe Tutu Tango that now only exists in Orlando now (can’t go to either anymore lol.) Next time you visit, you MUST try the Flying Biscuit (I went to the Candler Park location and it was AMAZING) and Gladys & Ron’s Chicken & Waffles on Peachtree. Mmmm…. lol
    Loving these pics – you look great!!