V: The Recipe
Recently, Chantelle of Fat Mum Slim posted What makes you ‘you’?, and it got me thinking about the habits, language, and idiosyncrasies that constitute our individual personalities. Who is she, that woman that is me? What are the ingredients that make me who I am in this 39th year of life?
What makes V, V?
1. I’m not one to mince words or back down from defending myself or what I believe in. After last week’s plagiarism scandal, a lot of people commended me for having the courage to speak out about it. While I appreciate that, it’s just not my nature not to. In fact, speaking up isn’t something I ever have to ponder. I just do. For better or for worse.
2. I never have to “sleep on it” to come to a final decision. I’m very decisive.
3. I’m a really good tipper, because I know what it feels like to wait on people. Consequently, I feel happier and I get really great service at my favorite local places.
4. Can’t help it, but every time I see a blogger making a peace sign with their fingers, it just irritates the hell out of me. Just smile and take the photo! Grown women do not need to make peace signs every time they see a camera.
5. There’s nothing I’m afraid to wear for fear that I “can’t pull it off,” but there are lots of things I don’t wear (like Birkenstocks, Spanx, pantyhose, and bowler hats), because I despise them.
6. I like spiky things. Which with the heels, and the long dark hair, make me even scarier. That’s either my inner spikiness manifesting itself on the outside, or I’m such a chicken I’m subconsciously trying to scare everyone away so I stay safe.
A few of my favorite spiky things.
7. As feminine as I am with my nails and bling and heels, I bust it in the gym like a man. I train HARD. And sweat buckets. Not pretty, but effective.
8. I hate clutter. And lots of little statues and framed photos everywhere. And floral bedspreads. And the smell of moth balls. And feet. Please keep them away from me.
9. I share stuff with my husband—like my computer, bathroom, and closet—but I really don’t want to. Let’s just have two of everything, I say. I’m not good at sharing. Except online, of course.
10. I don’t dwell on the things people have done to me, but I don’t forget. I just choose to put my mental and physical energy to better use. Glass half-full.
11. I’m a total BMW girl. Just bought my third one! I like to drive fast. Very fast. Thank God for my radar detector.
On the left is my last car. On the right is my newest one, just purchased last month! Yes, they are very similar.
12. I dine like I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth (uh, I wasn’t). Caviar, oysters, filet mignon, lobster, smoked salmon, lump crab, foie gras, tuna tartare, sashimi, fancy French sauces, champagne, bespoke cocktails, and a black napkin for my lap, yes, thank you! All part of my regular vocabulary. It’s the one thing I cannot compromise on. I’ll sell the Beemer before I’ll eat crap.
13. I don’t really get hangovers. Even after all those bespoke cocktails.
14. I’ve never been camping. The idea of not having a locked door between me and the world terrifies me.
15. If I had a dollar for every F-bomb I’ve dropped, I’d be driving an Aston Martin (dream car!) instead of a Beemer.
Aston Martin V12 Vantage image , sans swear, via astonmartin.com.
Or, I’d be wearing Wendy Brandes’ gold-plated Swear Rings. (Maybe I should start fining myself a dollar for every F-bomb, and I’ll have the set in no time. I should set up a f*#!*** Swear Ring Swear Jar.)
16. I like bad boys, sassy girls, other people’s kids, dogs, air-conditioning, and Saturdays.
17. I’m a non-practicing Greek Orthodox semi-Buddhist. I’m spiritual and have faith, but I don’t go to church anymore. Reference #10. Though I could never be fully Buddhist because cockroaches. Must. Die.
18. I have terrible stagefright! When other people try to take photos of me for my blog or theirs, they almost always suck because I’m so nervous (just ask Lee). As the subject, I prefer videos to photos any day.
19. The future eccentric old lady in me is obsessed with massive rings, piles of bangles, gold, leopard, fur, tassels, fringe, and caftans. Can’t you just see me in a flowing leopard print Camilla Franks caftan, long hair twisted into a bun, martini in hand, now-vintage designer bag hanging in the crook of my arm, jewelry everywhere going clink clink, as I swoop into bingo in my retirement community? Wanna join?
20. I say please and thank you every day, to friends, family, and as many strangers as possible. As long as you don’t cut me off in traffic, of course. Swear Jar in the car?!
What makes you who you are? Tell me something I may not know about you…