Hey blogger. Get over yourself. Seriously.
Edited by Vahni of Grit & Glamour
This week I’m fresh out of love and rainbows, so there will be no kumbaya intro. Doesn’t mean I don’t love y’all, but I have got to tell you that lately, I’m a wee bit peeved by the fame-whoring and big-noting going on in the fashion blogosphere (and Twitterverse). Who of us doesn’t want brand endorsements and blogging fame? We’re all stars in our own right, and there is nothing wrong with ambition. But no one likes a self-absorbed, one-sided braggart. And no one likes an ass-kisser. Period.
Have you given props to someone other than yourself lately? Is every status update about hyping you? Is everything in your life now about the blog? As Emily of Ruby Slipper Journeys wonders in her post, are you capturing reality on your blog or manufacturing it? If any of this sounds like you, you might be on the road to becoming a full-blown fame monster. Maybe it’s time to check yourself.
If you’re destined for blogging fame, it will come through dedication, professionalism, and genuine respect. Through interaction, supporting your community, and authenticity. Let’s take blogging back to its roots. This week’s roundup is chock full of posts teeming with creativity, wit, and wisdom. I challenge you all to not only read and comment on at least 10 blog posts, but to share them as well. Find something that resonates with you and tweet it, like it, stumble it. All those hearts and thumbs up weren’t made just for you.
Links à la Mode: June 30th
- Beautifully Invisible: A Rant: Why Women Are (at times) Their Own Worst Enemy
- Bell Street: Zero-waste patternmaking
- Beyond Fabric: Key-carrying options for guys
- Brunette Blogging: Tips & Tricks: How to get more blog traffic
- By Anika: On being non-conformist from within
- Divergent Musings: The blogger’s dilemma: I want nice pictures, but do I get a DSLR?
- Fashables: Men that like fashion are gay
- Grit & Glamour: What V Wore: Modern Greek
- Haute in Texas: Lingerie tips and tricks, because life is too short to wear boring panties.
- In Between Seams: Tips on scoring an internship from a Teen Vogue internIndependent Fashion Bloggers: What Twitter Taught Me About Interaction Online
- Kirstin Marie: Fashion Inspiration: Patterns & Textures
- Made-to-Travel: Tumblr party pics and why you should join tumblr for fun—and for your blog.
- Mis Papelicos: A sartorial and philosophical approach to keeping cool
- My Orange Stilettos: The Campaign for Clearer Clothes Sizing
- North On Harper: Runway To Room: Milla Jovovich (translating a red carpet look into a room in your home)
- Over 50 Feeling 40: How I chose what the mother of the bride would wear
- Ruby Slipper Journeys: The problem with “blogger poses,” and getting back to what’s authentic.
- Sprinkles in Springs: DIY a spiked bag like Alexander Wang’s Rocco satchel
- Style Sizzle: It’s hot out. Let’s talk about (preventing) boob sweat.
- The Citizen Rosebud: As a +40 personal style blogger I share what and why I dress the way I do.
- The Loudmouth Lifestyle: Be a better shopper, part two: Implementation
Wondering how Links à la Mode works? Read my tutorial: How to Submit a Post to IFB Links à la Mode