Edited by Vahni of Grit & Glamour
Savage Beauty. Don’t tell me you haven’t heard the paradoxically exquisite title of the Alexander McQueen exhibit currently mesmerizing the fashion world and the blogosphere. I mention it for two reasons. First, a couple bloggers in this week’s roundup show you the exhibit in New York—as well as a satellite version in London—through their own lenses. So if you didn’t know about it, check out their posts and resurrect your fashion cred.
Savage Blogging. Now that’s my title, and while it was inspired by the McQueen exhibit, it also characterizes the approach many bloggers take, as well as entries this week that speak to the issue. Want to be haute stuff in the blog world, like The Sartorialist? Think it’s all a numbers game? Well, I certainly hope not. That is savage blogging: when your objective ceases to be the art of it, the connection, and you are devoured by an obsession with your numbers. When you get so big that you forget you used to be a nobody until fellow bloggers read your blog and lifted you up. When you stop conversing, and simply become a talking head. With a camera. No thanks.
As blogging and social media mature, many are finally realizing what my mama told me years ago: You get more flies with honey. Don’t be savage bloggers, loves. When you give and interact genuinely, your star will shine, I promise you. Your numbers will grow, and people won’t write you any “open letters” to remind you that you’ve gotten a little too big for your britches. Honey, honeybuns. Got it?
Links à la Mode: May 12th
- A Reason to be Fabulous: The classic white button-down remixed for work and play.
- Best of Bklyn: The six shoes every girl should have for a complete shoe wardrobe.
- Beyond Fabric: How to solve your hemming conundrums.
- Boheme Noir: The 20 most pointless designer accessoires ever.
- Brunette Blogging: Blogging Commandments — do’s and don’ts for bloggers.
- By Anika: Colouring outside the lines, in fashion and in life.
- Consider Me Lovely: Things I Now Know For Sure (lessons in blogging)
- Dozen Dresses: The First-Timer’s Guide to Shopping In Paris
- Decoding Dress: An open letter to Scott Schuman (The Sartorialist)
- Finding Tokyo: Why do you blog? It’s not about numbers….it’s about the connection.
- Grit & Glamour: Shots You Never Saw and What They Taught Me
- HauteWorld: Harvey Nichols brings “Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty” to London.
- Her Catwalk: 7 More Ways to Stop Impulse Spending
- IFB: How to Break the Ice at Events
- KP Fusion: Moment of Honesty: What’s the purpose of your blog?
- Letters to Daria: Travel in style or comfort?
- Lights So Bright: The difference between leopard and cheetah prints.
- NY Don’t Leave Me: Tackling sandals and socks!
- Shoeperwoman: The Trouble with Dresses
- The Citizen Rosebud: The I.O.U. Project—a new online venture aiming to make a difference.
- This Is A Yes: Alexander McQueen Exhibit at the Met
Wondering how Links à la Mode works? Read my tutorial: How to Submit a Post to IFB Links à la Mode