Y’all know I’ve been participating in the Friend Friday project by Modly Chic for a loooong time now. Friend Friday—actually, it’s Fashion Beauty Friend Friday—is a weekly series that allows participating bloggers to share more about themselves (and create a friendly connection with others) by posting answers to a set list of questions related to beauty, fashion, and blogging.
Recently, the lovely Jessica of Enchanted Vintage (had to include the shot of her below…I’m smitten…isn’t she gorge?) asked how it all works, if I have ever covered it here on G&G. It’s something I’ve been asked before, but this time I thought, OK, this is another how-to post waiting to happen! And clearly, the tech writer in me is dying to get out on occasion. That, or I’m a sucker for self-torture.
Anyway, for those who have always wondered how it works, here you go.
How to Participate in Fashion Beauty Friend Friday
- Join the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group.
- After you’ve been given access, log in and look for the current week’s questions pinned to the top of the list.
Questions are posted by Wednesday of the same week, and occasionally they are posted a few weeks in advance.
- Click on the link to the questions. If there are multiple replies visible when you open the link, remember that the first link from Katy is the one with the questions.
- In a new browser window or tab, create a post on your blog.
- Copy the questions from the Google Group post and paste to the editor in your blog.
- Complete your post, making sure that you include a link back to Modly Chic, and schedule for publication on Friday.
- On Friday, go to Modly Chic and look for the Katy’s Friend Friday post on the home page. Scroll down to the Mister Linky’s Magical Widget’s module at the end of the post. Add your blog name and your Friend Friday post URL, then click Enter.
- Leave a comment on the current Modly Chic Friend Friday post, then check out some others and leave comments there as well!
Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Tips & Tricks
So you’ve joined. This is my personal approach to maximizing my participation in Friend Friday, while also making it my own.
- Make questions bold, or format them as subheadings to make them stand out from your answers. My questions aren’t numbered, but some people do include the numbers. It’s totally up to you.
- Rearrange questions if you feel they flow better on the page in a different order.
- Add at least one relevant image to bring visual interest to your post. If the image isn’t yours, be sure to name the source and link to it.
- U.S. participants, schedule your post for 12:01 am Friday, Eastern Time. My readers are all over the world, and yours probably are too, so Friday comes earlier for some (hello, Australia!). Give your overseas readers the opportunity to catch your post on their Friday morning.
- Schedule a tweet about your post. Be sure to use the #FBFF hashtag.
- Share other #FBFF posts on Twitter that resonated with you. With the hashtag, of course.
PS: Once you join the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group, you’ll probably notice that it is a great resource for more than just the weekly questions. In fact, it has become quite the blogger support group! Topics related to blogging, tech questions, and more are often posted, and the group is quite helpful.