What makes a blog user-friendly? What should you not do? That’s what this vlog is all about. Sorry for the abrupt intermission…I don’t do a lot of video editing…what you see is pretty much what I shot.
Part 1—What You Should Do
What you should do recap + extras:
- Be true to yourself, your unique voice.
- Content is king. Post original content whenever possible.
- If you’re using shots from fashion shows, etc., be sure to give attribution, and consider posting images that others aren’t.
- Proofread and spellcheck. Then do it again.
- Have a copyright statement. Read How to protect your copyright—real life example by Suze of Miss Vinyl Ahoy.
- Mobilize your blog. I use WP Touch. Find out what options are out there for your blog and preferences.
- Respond to comments. On that subject, watch Friend Friday: Am I a narcissist? if you haven’t already.
Part 2—What Thou Shalt Not Do
What you should not do recap + extras:
- Use overly-large header images.
- Underline text that is not a link.
- Center all your body copy. We read from left to right, and it takes longer for the eye to find the beginning of the next line when text is centered, so left-justify body copy.
- Have music that automatically plays when a user hits your home page.